Rotation #301, February 27, 2012
See the bottom of this newsletter
for all the links and social network stuff.
There’s a great moment in the movie The Big Chill when “Nick,” played by William Hurt, is being faux-interviewed by one of his friends in a mock TV interview. His friend is running down a list of half finished projects, abandoned careers, and miscellaneous dodgy dealings. Nick abruptly interrupts and says indignantly, “I was evolving, I’m still evolving.”
That’s kinda how I feel about Taproot Radio and especially the podcast. It’s evolving, still evolving. So yeah, I’m changing the name (again) to The Taproot Music Show. Yes, it will still primarily be delivered as a podcast. So all you podcast fanatics don’t hafta worry. But I wanted to drop Podcast (and Radio) from the name so it wouldn’t be so weird as I explore new ways to deliver the same great interview show. Not sure exactly where that’s going to lead, but I’m actively looking at alternate ways to get the show into more ears. Got an idea? I’d like to hear it.
In a meager attempt at being hip, I’ve joined Pinterest and have created a pin board for the Taproot Music Show episodes. I’ll still be announcing new episodes here, on the blog, on the Facebook, and the twitter. But if you’re into Pinterest you can follow there too. So there’s really no excuse not to listen. heh.
And on to music! Dang! I actually caught up with auditions last week. So if you’re a label rep waiting to hear about a CD you sent in, better drop me a line. I got nothing in the queue right now. Wouldn’t be the first time I lost a CD. Sorry in advance. And weirdly enough, not a single CD showed up in the mail box this week. Can’t remember the last time that happened!
But now, as of this afternoon, I understand why. It was kinda like the Red Seas parting to make way for the arrival of….drum roll please…. THE NEW BETH McKEE CD!!!! Pick your favorite superlative for Next To Nowhere because it will fit. She hits just about every style of southern music on this CD, from torch singer blues, piano bar romps, R&B ballads, southern rock, gospel-inspred anthems, a little cajun/hippie and I don’t know what all else. This CD made my day and I know it will put a little oomph in your day too. Drop what you’re doing and check it out as soon as possible.
On episode 76 of the Taproot Music Show, Brandon Sampson from Six Mile Grove and Bob Wootton tell the story of how they met and began their long time musical collaboration, talk about their mission to keep the Johnny Cash sound alive, give us a preview of Six Mile Grove’s upcoming CD Secret Life In A Quiet Town, and explore the existential question of free will and predestination.
My interview guest on the live show this week is Mike June from Mike June and the Wilson Street Exiles. So tune in to the WCOM web stream at 9pm eastern time to hear him tell the stories behind his music.
Taproot Road Song
Speaking of southern soul, blue-eyed soul, whatever you want to call it. I decided to put George Soulé’s “Take A Ride” up for the Road Song of the week. After last week’s kick ass road song from Lucero, this adds a smoooooooth kinda road song into the mix.
Recent Podcast Episodes
For the full episode list, visit the episode page or follow the Taproot Music Show episodes on Pinterest.
Episode 72, Lee Briante of The Far West talks about the importance of having video and internet media available for today’s audience; how it made him feel to move to Los Angeles; and how recording in an American Legion hall brought their debut self-titled CD to life.
Episode 73 – Lincoln Durham talks about his residency at Gruene Hall, why he can’t write love songs, his long path from playing fiddle to Son House and Fred McDowell, and why he wrote a creepy songs about ne’er-do-well characters playing forty
Episode 74 – Lucy Tight and Wayne Waxing from Hymn For Her, how they met and started making music together; their evolution from folk duo to lo-fi rock band; and recording in their airstream trailer.
Episode 75 – Laurie MacAllister, Abbie Gardner, and Molly Venter of Red Molly talk about their music backgrounds, the appeal of female trios, the excitement of playing Merlefest, the appeal their music has for the NYC coffeehouse crowd, and the stories behind three of their songs on the CD Light In The Sky.
Episode 76 – Brandon Sampson from Six Mile Grove and Bob Wootton tell the story of how they met and began their long time musical collaboration, talk about their mission to keep the Johnny Cash sound alive, give us a preview of Six Mile Grove’s upcoming CD Secret Life In A Quiet Town, and explore the existential question of free will and predestination.
Next to Nowhere / Beth McKee / Next to Nowhere / 3:04
On the Verge / Beth McKee / Next to Nowhere / 4:16
Shoulda Kept on Walkin’ / Beth McKee / Next to Nowhere / 2:57
New Orleans to Jackson / Beth McKee / Next to Nowhere / 4:44
Same Dog’s Tail / Beth McKee / Next to Nowhere / 3:37
The Week’s WCOM Play List
The Live Show
Monday Nights at 9pm Eastern time on WCOM. Listen to the webcast stream.
Next to Nowhere / Beth McKee / Next to Nowhere / 3:04
Green, Green Grass Of Home / Johnny Cash / Sunday Morning Coming Down / 2:35
On My Way Downtown / Lucero / Women & Work / 4:29
Take A Ride / George Soule / Take A Ride / 3:20
*** Special Interview Guest: Mike June ***
Dirty Water / Chris Castle / Last Bird Home / 4:21
Knockin’ Over Whiskeys / Hayes Carll / Trouble In Mind / 2:56
Losin’ Boy / Eddy Giles / Deep Soul Treasures 2 / 3:15
Slow Death / Charlie Pickett / Bar Band Americanus / 3:49
Another Story / The Damn Quails / Down the Hatch / 3:33
Into The Mystic / Mike McClure Band / Camelot Falling / 4:46
Just Another Way To Go / Jackstraw / Sunday Never Comes / 2:53
Love Letters / Lincoln Durham / The Shovel Vs. The Howling Bones / 2:58
tenderhook / Michael Rank and Stag / Kin [Disc 1] / 4:26
Ain’t Got No Troubles / Eden Brent / Ain’t Got No Troubles / 5:09
This Week’s Rotation
Taproot Play Lists on iTunes
This week’s play list on Spotify
- Next to Nowhere / Beth McKee / Next to Nowhere / 3:04
- A Bad Way / The Great Unknowns / Homefront / 3:05
- On My Way Downtown / Lucero / Women & Work / 4:29
- Dirty Water / Chris Castle / Last Bird Home / 4:21
- Hu-matic Man / Andre Williams / Hoods and Shades / 3:13
- tenderhook / Michael Rank and Stag / Kin [Disc 1] / 4:26
- Delta River Line / Westbound / Blackjack Road / 3:42
- Rock This Little Boat / Maynard and the Musties / Cheap Cigar / 3:13
- Hangin On / Joel Dasilva And The Midnight Howl / Joel Dasilva And The Midnight Howl / 2:39
- Promised Land / Drew Nelson / Tilt-A-Whirl / 3:38
- Just Another Way To Go / Jackstraw / Sunday Never Comes / 2:53
- Another Story / The Damn Quails / Down the Hatch / 3:33
- Love Letters / Lincoln Durham / The Shovel Vs. The Howling Bones / 2:58
- Stuck In Memphis / Thieving Birds / Thieving Birds / 3:05
- Randall Knife / Vince Gill / This One’s For Him: A Tribute To Guy Clark [Disc 2] / 4:34
- I’ll Never Drink Again / The Far West / The Far West / 3:12
- Slips / Hymn For Her / Lucy & Wayne And The American Stream / 2:41
- Dedicated To The One I Love / Steve Cropper, Lucinda Williams & Steve Winwood / Dedicated – A Salute To The 5 Royales / 3:15
- You Better Pray / Marquise Knox / Here I Am / 4:45
- Big Drops of Trouble / Arty Hill and the Long Gone Daddys / Another Lost Highway / 3:49
- Mocha Jaydene / Planetary Nights / Today Ain’t Too Late / 4:36
- The Train That’s Bound For Glory / Garrison Starr / Amateur / 3:41
- Angel Of Death / New Country Rehab / New Country Rehab / 2:52
- Blues for Big Bill / Chris Cotton / It’s All Connected / 3:23
- Pony Blues / Bluff City Backsliders / It’s All Connected / 4:11
- Take A Ride / George Soule / Take A Ride / 3:20
- Wild Horses / The Flying Burrito Brothers / Sacred Hearts And Fallen Angels: The Gram Parsons Anthology (Disc 1) / 6:24
- New Shoes / Caleb Klauder / Dangerous Mes And Poisonous Yous / 3:11
- You Left The Water Running (Live) / Dan Penn & Spooner Oldham / Moments From This Theatre / 3:24
- 7 Months, 39 Days / Hank Williams III / Lovesick, Broke And Driftin’ / 3:27
- Down To The Wire / Son Volt / American Central Dust (Amazon MP3 Exclusive Version) / 4:20
- Fooled Around And Fell In Love / Mickey Thomas / The Bluesmasters Featuring Mickey Thomas / 4:20
- Final Wild Son / The Long Ryders / The Long Ryders Anthology: Looking for Lewis and Clark [Disc 1] / 2:40
- Losin’ Boy / Eddy Giles / Deep Soul Treasures 2 / 3:15
- Man of Somebody’s Dreams / Los Lobos / The Man Of Somebody’s Dreams: A Tribute to the Songs of Chris Gaffney / 3:59
- I Can’t Turn You Loose / Otis Redding / Live On The Sunset Strip / 6:20
- Green, Green Grass Of Home / Johnny Cash / Sunday Morning Coming Down / 2:35
- Piss & Moan Blues / The Gourds / Dem’s Good Beeble / 3:16
- Everything’s Alright / The O’s / Between The Two / 2:21
- Tennessee Waltz / Ruth Brown / More Dirty Laundry: The Soul Of Black Country / 4:15
- Money / Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kin… / I Learned the Hard Way (Bonus Version) / 3:22
- The Ballad of Elano DeLeon / Reckless Kelly / Somewhere In Time / 3:26
- Lucky Man / Ronnie Wood / Lucky Man / 3:53
- Get On The Bus / The Bottle Rockets / Lean Forward / 3:51
- Honey Now / Gillian Welch / Hell Among The Yearlings / 1:52
- Into The Mystic / Mike McClure Band / Camelot Falling / 4:46
- Slow Death / Charlie Pickett / Bar Band Americanus / 3:49
- Ain’t Got No Troubles / Eden Brent / Ain’t Got No Troubles / 5:09
- Handcuffs / Sodajerk / Sodajerk / 3:01
- Knockin’ Over Whiskeys / Hayes Carll / Trouble In Mind / 2:56
- Angels On A Passing Train / Marah / Angels Of Destruction / 4:06
All The Social Stuff
The Live Show
Podcast of The Taproot Music Show