Imagine a band that has had a little too much to drink and has listened to a little too much Felice Brothers and you’d come pretty close to Maynard and the Musties. The music on Maynard and the Musties’ Cheap Cigar is loose and worn and boozy. Every note is a surprise. Every line is sad but true. This is highly recommended as good hanging out and drinking music. Their CD is not yet on iTunes but will be soon. Meanwhile you can hear cuts from it on the Taproot Radio Current Rotation list on Spotify.
On episode 74 of the Taproot Podcast, Lucy Tight and Wayne Waxing from Hymn For Her, how they met and started making music together; their evolution from folk duo to lo-fi rock band; and recording in their airstream trailer.
Speaking of the podcast, I’m happy to announce that the North Carolina Hops and Roots Festival is a sponsor for the podcast again this year. This festival celebrates local beer, wine, food, and music and I’m proud to be associated with it. Check them out if you are in the area.
I’m drowning in CD submissions these days and it’s always interesting to see what people do to make their submission stand out. I have more branded beer bottle openers, stickers, post cards, refrigerator magnets, etc etc than I can shake a stick at. Some folks tie up their CDSs in ribbon as if it’s a precious gift. Others include hand written notes from the musicians. It’s all appreciated. But don’t forget the basics. This week I received a CD that showed promise, at least based on the packaging. But there was no CD in the case! Oops!
And while I’m on the subject. I heartily endorse electronic distribution of review copies. Big fan. But please please, make sure the meta data is attached to the MP3 files using MP3 tags so I can eaily import it into my music management system. Thanks and keep the good music coming!
Taproot Road Song 299
Langhorne Slim has an infectious optimism, even when he’s singing the blues. I don’t know how he manages to do that. I think it’s something about the earnestness in his voice and this week’s road song, “Restless” is a great example.
Recent Podcast Episodes
Episode 70 – Lydia Loveless talks about how much she enjoyed going into the sound booth to “scream until I almost passed out” when recording her CD, Indestructible Machine; her admiration for the songwriting of Sunny Sweeney and the guitar work of James Wilsey; her advice to aspiring artists; and why punk rock wasn’t a rebellion for her.
Episode 71 – John Lilly talks about meeting Bill Kirchen and Bill’s help on his most recent CD, Cold Comfort; how he funded the CD by winning a songwriting contest; working at the Country Music Hall of Fame and getting to visit “the cathedral of Country Music”; his yearly Hank Williams Tribute show; and introduces us to three songs on his Cold Comfort CD.
Episode 72, Lee Briante of The Far West talks about the importance of having video and internet media available for today’s audience; how it made him feel to move to Los Angeles; and how recording in an American Legion hall brought their debut self-titled CD to life.
Episode 73 – Lincoln Durham talks about his residency at Gruene Hall, why he can’t write love songs, his long path from playing fiddle to Son House and Fred McDowell, and why he wrote a creepy songs about ne’er-do-well characters playing forty
Episode 74 – Lucy Tight and Wayne Waxing from Hymn For Her, how they met and started making music together; their evolution from folk duo to lo-fi rock band; and recording in their airstream trailer.
Finished With You / Ashley Robertson / Finished With You / 4:37
Uphill / Julie Lee and the Baby Daddies / Julie Lee and the Baby Daddies / 4:44
Today Ain’t Too Late / Planetary Nights / Today Ain’t Too Late / 3:00
Mocha Jaydene / Planetary Nights / Today Ain’t Too Late / 4:36
Rollin’ On Again / Planetary Nights / Today Ain’t Too Late / 3:38
Cheap Cigar / Maynard and the Musties / Cheap Cigar / 4:00
Rock This Little Boat / Maynard and the Musties / Cheap Cigar / 3:13
Pretty & Cryin’ / Maynard and the Musties / Cheap Cigar / 4:41
After the Game / Maynard and the Musties / Cheap Cigar / 3:17
Makin’ Time / Westbound / Blackjack Road / 2:54
Delta River Line / Westbound / Blackjack Road / 3:42
Somethin’ in the Water / Westbound / Blackjack Road / 2:48
Things We Dare Not Tell / Kath Buckell / Faces Do Not Change / 4:16
This Week’s Rotation
- Somethin’ in the Water / Westbound / Blackjack Road / 2:48
- Cold Dog Soup / James McMurtry / This One’s For Him: A Tribute To Guy Clark [Disc 1] / 3:48
- “Baby Doll” / Charlie Gracie / “Baby Doll” Single / 3:05
- Cheap Cigar / Maynard and the Musties / Cheap Cigar / 4:00
- Finished With You / Ashley Robertson / Finished With You / 4:37
- Jebediah Wilcox / Johnson County / Johnson County / 4:21
- Sorry Times / Trailer Bride / Trailer Bride / 3:12
- The Prisoner / Mike June & The Wilson Street Refugees / Exile On Wilson Street / 3:33
- Uphill / Julie Lee and the Baby Daddies / Julie Lee and the Baby Daddies / 4:44
- He’s Got Himself A Young Girl (And He Can’t Keep Up) / The Long Ryders / The Long Ryders Anthology: Looking for Lewis and Clark [Disc 2] / 2:57
- Return Of The Grievous Angel / Gram Parsons / Under Your Spell Again [Disc II] / 3:52
- Breakdown / Audra Mae and The Almighty Sound / EP / 3:19
- Come Home Blues / Mark Pickerel And His Praying Hands / Snake in the Radio / 3:49
- Danny and Maria / Drew Nelson / Tilt-A-Whirl / 3:21
- I Don’t Want To Take A Chance / Mary Wells / The Ultimate collection / 2:48
- Nothing / The Far West / The Far West / 2:38
- Runnin’ With The Fools / Two Dollar Pistols / Hands Up! / 3:08
- The Dirty Boogie / The Brian Setzer Orchestra / The Dirty Boogie / 3:14
- Today Ain’t Too Late / Planetary Nights / Today Ain’t Too Late / 3:00
- For All I Know / James McMurtry / It Had To Happen / 3:58
- Head to Toe / Pokey LaFarge & the South City Three / Middle of Everywhere / 2:32
- How Many Times Have You Broken My Heart? / Norah Jones / The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams / 3:32
- If You Want Me To / Deadstring Brothers / Silver Mountain / 4:33
- Willie And Laura Mae Jones / Tony Joe White / The Best Of Tony Joe White (Featuring Polk Salad Annie) / 4:57
- Take My Possessions / Charlie Sohmer / Dying To Have A Good Time / 3:59
- Dirtfloorcracker / Mofro / Lochloosa / 3:37
- Boogie Real Low / Joel Dasilva And The Midnight Howl / Joel Dasilva And The Midnight Howl / 3:59
- Cranky Mulatto / The Gourds / Noble Bonus Tracks / 3:21
- Everything I Do / Whiskeytown / Strangers Almanac / 4:32
- Haunted / The Gourds / Old Mad Joy / 3:49
- Mexicali Rainsong / Paladino / Paladino / 3:44
- Let’s Get Wide Open / Doug Prescott / The Journey & The Deep Blue Sea / 4:10
- Montana / Hymn For Her / Lucy & Wayne And The American Stream / 3:37
- Muddy Water / Aretha Franklin / Aretha Sings The Blues / 2:32
- Ol’ 97 / Randy Thompson / Collected / 4:12
- Save My Soul / Thieving Birds / Thieving Birds / 4:45
- Things We Dare Not Tell / Kath Buckell / Faces Do Not Change / 4:16
- How Does A Crow Fly / Lincoln Durham / The Shovel Vs. The Howling Bones / 2:36
- Invisible Riverside / Ryan Adams / Ashes & Fire / 4:49
- I Hear A Symphony / Diana Ross and The Supremes / The Ultimate Collection / 2:44
- I’m The Man Who Loves You / Wilco / Yankee Hotel Foxtrot / 3:56
- Wedding Day / Alejandro Escovedo / A Man Under The Influence / 3:54
- Blue Eyes / Uncle Tupelo / Conmemorativo | A Tribute To Gram Parsons / 2:59
- The Honeymoon / Langhorne Slim / Langhorne Slim / 2:03
- Say It / Steve Cropper & Bettye LaVette / Dedicated – A Salute To The 5 Royales / 2:25
- Stripped / Lou Ford / Sad, But Familiar / 3:28
- Time / The Greencards / This Is Americana Volume 2 / 4:33
- Wonder Woman / Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint / The River In Reverse / 3:08
- Rockin’ My Life Away (Alternate Take) / George Thorogood & The Destroyers / Greatest Hits: 30 Years of Rock / 3:28
- Preachin’ Blues (Up Jumped The Devil) / Robert Johnson / The Centennial Collection / 2:52
- When My Love Comes Down / Ruby Johnson / Stax 1959-1968 #6 / 2:48
- Another Story / The Damn Quails / Down the Hatch / 3:33